I’ve always been a morning person. In fact, I know that I’m one of those really obnoxious morning people who wake up smiling and chirping about how great everything is. I know there have been times in my life when I’ve enjoyed sleeping in when I can, but for the most part, 8:00 is the latest I sleep in.
So for the last three weeks, I’ve had a problem. I am unable to sleep past 6:00 a.m. In fact, most of the time, I’m getting up between 4 and 5:30. It does not matter what time I go to bed. It does not matter how tired I am. It does not matter that I beg and plead with God to please just let me sleep until it’s sunny outside. I set my alarm for the middle of the day today because I didn’t want to forget to do something, and I was confused when it went off because it’s been so long since I’ve heard those strange noises, since I’ve been getting up before the alarm.
Here’s what I do with all my extra time at the start of the day:
1. Start the coffee. This is a very important step.
2. Go into the living room and get attacked by Sam. Sam is very excited that I’m getting up early.
3. Feed Sam and Simon.
4. Pour some coffee.
5. Sit down with my coffee and computer and look up the daily Bible readings and then spend some time reading them.
6. Pour some more coffee.
7. Play on the computer. Avoid posting sarcastic comments and/or blog posts (much harder at 5:00 a.m.).
8. Pour some more coffee.
9. Make breakfast for my family.
10. Consider pouring my coffee on Jason who is hitting the snooze alarm for the fifth time. Decide not to be wasteful.
11. Get ready for the day.
12. Head to Bridgeview to get more coffee.
See the problem? I obviously need a bigger coffee mug.
I miss sleeping.