I’m not a big fan of small talk. I love to meet people, but discussing the weather with relative strangers makes me feel incredibly lame. Another thing I hate to ask, “What do you do?” in a way that implies “to make money” is the unspoken ending of the sentence. People are about more than their occupations, really, and it can be awkward to answer if one is between jobs or working a job he or she does not really enjoy.
Anyway, I’m here to help. Here are ten questions that you can use to make your small talk conversations much more interesting and fun. Or wait–these are probably things you don’t know about some of the people with whom you converse on a regular basis. These questions can make regular conversation more fun as well!
1. What is your favorite salad dressing?
2. Have you ever slept in a tent?
3. What was your favorite “required reading” book in high school?
4. Would you rather go skydiving or spelunking?
5. Where would you go on vacation if you had unlimited time and resources?
6. What was your very first job?
7. What color is your toothbrush?
8. What was the last thing you cooked?
9. What is your favorite form of artistic expression?
10. If you could travel through time, back to any day in your life, which day would you choose?
Pick a question and answer it in the comments!