The year 2020 has been something! But Advent is almost here, just as it always would have been, regardless of the events happening in our world, communities, churches, and homes.
Advent for me is often a time when I come back to the practice of writing and reflecting in a way that is blog/website friendly. Often, I have a list of words that I offer up for daily reflection, inviting you to take a photo or write your own post about the word.
This year, to my church and to you, I’m offering a scripture for each day and inviting you to find the word.
Word a Day for Advent 2020: A Daily Devotional Practice
- Light your Advent wreath/candles (first week, just one purple; second week, two purple, etc)
- Pray a prayer for illumination, asking the Holy Spirit to open your eyes to the scripture.
- Find the scripture listed for the day and read it slowly.
- Reflect on the scripture for a moment or two. What stands out to you?
- Read the scripture again.
- Choose a word from the scripture that seems meaningful to you or that you think the Holy Spirit is drawing you to.
- Write that word in your daily Advent journal (or simply highlight or underline it in your Bible).
- Pray and ask God to help you follow his will today.
- Journal about the scripture and your word. Reflect on what the Holy Spirit has said to you as you have read and reflected.
- Take a photo that captures your word and share it with someone.
- Join us for our Zoom discussions about the Word a Day on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings between 7:30 and 8:00 p.m. to share the words you have uncovered. (Send me a message for the link!)
Here are the words for the whole season:
These are drawn from the daily lectionary. You can find the full schedule of readings here.
November 29: Isaiah 64:1-9
November 30: 1 Thess 1:1-10
December 1: Luke 20:9-18
December 2: Isaiah 2:1-4
December 3: Psalm 126
December 4: 1 Thess 4:1-12
December 5: 1 Thess 4:13-18
December 6: Isaiah 40:1-11
December 7: Psalm 122
December 8: Luke 21:29-38
December 9: Isaiah 6:1-13
December 10: Psalm 147:12-20
December 11: 2 Thess 2:13-3:5
December 12: Psalm 90
December 13: Isaiah 61:1-11
December 14: 2 Peter 1:1-11
December 15: Isaiah 9:2-7
December 16: Luke 1:5-17
December 17: Luke 1:18-25
December 18: Isaiah 11:1-9
December 19: Revelation 20:1-6
December 20: Luke 1:26-38
December 21: Psalm 40:1-8
December 22: Luke 1:39-56
December 23: Luke 2:1-7
December 24: Luke 2:8-20
December 25: John 1:1-14