Interesting Day So Far…

September 15, 2005

Well, today has been a different day than I originally planned. First of all, Jonas stayed with us last night even though it’s not one of our regular nights. His stepfather had to go to the emergency room (we were never given any more information that that) last night so Jonas came to our house, did his homework, took a shower, read some books (with help–I mean, the kid’s a genius, but he’s only in first grade!), and went to bed.

So this morning, Jason went to work at 5:00 and I woke up at 6:00. I had to make Jonas breakfast, get him dressed, and get him to school on time. I do this 3 times a week, so you think that adding a fourth time wouldn’t be too tough. Well, I was wrong.

First of all, today is pay day. I get paid every two weeks, so I do our major grocery shopping every two weeks on Thursday. We are running out of food, but I didn’t think it would be a big deal with just Jason and I and last night being a church night with dinner included. Unfortunately, that meant that I had to prepare breakfast without the following things: eggs, bread, milk, cereal, meat. So the morning started off with me gently trying to convince a stubborn six year old that he wanted to eat breakfast at school today. No dice. He didn’t want to eat at school, he wanted to eat at home and watch Arthur. So I gently broke the news about the lack of breakfast food. He was mad and stomped off to the family room while I said, “Jonas Durham, lose your attitude right now!” even though I knew very well that there wasn’t an “or else” because I didn’t have any ammunition for an “or else” at that point since we were already wasting time and I still didn’t have a breakfast solution.

Luckily I found two packets of maple and brown sugar oatmeal! Instant=just add water! Since we have a kitchen sink and a microwave it meant that I had my solution! I served it alongside some apple sauce and a 10 calorie Kool-Aid jammer and voila–Bon Apetite! Jonas was not as excited as I was, but he did eat all of the oatmeal.

Then it was time to get dressed and we had an argument about whether or not he could take a sword in the car (no). Then he didn’t want to stop playing. Then he dumped the contents of his lunchbox out on the porch when he tried to keep the cat from coming inside. Then he had to write in the condensation on the outside of his car window for a minute. Then he had to erase it. Then he had to read his seatbelt buckle (it says “press”). Then we finally got to leave and head to school, only about five minutes behind schedule.

We were driving down our road when Jonas started screaming and crying, “It won’t come off!” He had found a 14 inch zip tie in my backseat (we used them to hang the banner from the stage at the concert) and decided to put it around his knee. He pulled it all the way before he realized that those things aren’t reversible. Luckily, I still had a pair of scissors in the car from when we cut the banner loose after the concert. I had to pull over, get out, calm him down, and cut him free. I’m glad I had those scissors! Can you imagine me trying to explain that at school?

Then after I finally got back out into traffic on the way to school, a cop gets behind me at the next intersection. He kept following me. I kept driving pretty slow. He kept following. I stopped completely at all of the stoplights. Finally, when I got into the line to drop Jonas off at Holy Name, he decided I wasn’t worth waiting in the big line for and drove the other way.

Then, I went to the church to wait for Jonas to come over for school mass. He was okay at mass, but somewhere around the eucharist, he put his thumbs in his airs and stuck his tongue out at me. I waited until a song started before I made him change seats with me so that he was sitting away from his friend. That’s a mom trick I’ve picked up–if you discipline while people are singing, they probably won’t hear the child fuss back at you and you can save loads of embarassment.

Anyway, hopefully the rest of his day went well. Mine got better and I got a lot of work done. So much done that I have time to blog while I wait to be able to go pick Jonas up at school and take him for a haircut.

One response to Interesting Day So Far…

  1. Niklas & Katie Lorentzon September 15, 2005 at 2:15 pm

    What a crazy morning! You seem to still be able to see things in a positive/humorous light however! And that is something that I remember about you!

    Thanks for posting those pics below…It isn’t really all that complicated once you get the hang of it!