Race For the Cure (My First 5K)

It was raining when I took our dog, Sam outside this morning. Raining hard. I could tell that this wasn’t going to just pass in time for the race. And I knew they weren’t cancelling the race. Once you survive breast cancer and stand beside breast cancer sufferers, racing in the rain is ridiculously easy, I’d imagine.

It rained the entire morning. There were two or three short periods of slow drizzle, but the rest of the time it rained and rained and rained.

But it was a great morning and a fun race.

There were hundreds of people in downtown Evansville this morning…maybe thousands? I’m super bad at guessing numbers when it comes to people. There was a choir singing and loud music and lots of sponsors and volunteers.

I made two rookie mistakes in my first 5K. I lined up in the wrong place. I misjudged how many people would be walking in this race and placed myself about 1/3 of the way back from the starting line. I didn’t want to get too close to the front and make the fast runners dodge me and my slower pace. This meant that I was the one dodging and trying to get to where I could run at a comfortable pace. That was actually a tiny bit fun–dodging and weaving around walkers, but it was also kind of tricky and it meant it took me about 1/2 a mile before I could go a consistent pace.

At the second water stop, I was thirsty. So I started to move to the right side of the road to grab a cup of water. I was so focused on trying to keep running and grab the water that I accidentally cut the runner behind me off. “Woah!” she yelled as she stopped short (and so did I because she scared me). But neither of us were running very fast and we didn’t collide, so it was okay.

I’m not sure what my time actually was. I forgot to stop the Runkeeper App on my phone (in a ziplock bag in my rain jacket pocket) when I crossed the finish line. I accepted some high fives, re-tied my shoes, caught my breath and found Jason before I remembered to stop it. According to the app, I ran 3.23 miles in about 50 minutes. (You can click that link to see the map of my run, my stats, elevation and speed and all kinds of other fun stuff.) I’d say it was probably more like 47 or 48 minutes, but it doesn’t really matter. For me, that’s a decent time. I did more walking than I planned to do, but it was tough to run with all the people around me and there were so many reasons to slow down and enjoy the experience (the firefighters playing bagpipes on a corner around mile 1, for example).  I ultimately want to do better, but it was my first 5K and I was happy just to run across the finish line.

Jason was a wonderful race-day supporter, by the way. He drove me to the race, held an umbrella over me until they were ready to start, traded jackets with me right before the race started because his was warmer and drier, carried the cameras and took the pictures and cheered me on at the finish line.

It takes a lot of volunteers, a lot of imagination and a lot of energy to have an event like this. The Greater Evansville Chapter of Susan G. Komen For the Cure and all the sponsors did a fantastic job! I’m looking forward to the next 5K.

2 thoughts on “Race For the Cure (My First 5K)”

  1. Congratulations Becky on keeping your commitment! I bet you’re already thinking of the next race!

  2. Congratulations. I remember my 1st 5k I was racewalking and a sweet friend “Ann Williams” helped me so much. It was on Thanksgiving.. it was called the Turkey Run and I think the money went to the Arthritis Foundation. I enjoyed many events and real races. But the most exciting was always the Race for the Cure.. so many many people!

    I’m proud of you Becky. And I loved your story about today. Looking forward to many more!

Comments are closed.